Sunday, April 27, 2008

Thrill of Introducing Someone to DTD

I believe that there are two things that are the best life has to offer--the "pleasure of giving respect" (Tobias Wolff, Bullet in the Brain) and the pleasure of watching someone experience a treasured pastime, to which you've introduced them, for the first time.

I experienced the latter delight today. J's interest in DTD was piqued by this very blog, and spurred by encouragement from E and me, J played it for the very first time! E and I gathered around J's shoulders, explaining the rules and providing tips, and generally enjoying watching someone go through what we had once gone through. "I'll say what C said to me the first time I played," E said. "I've certainly never seen anyone play like that before!"

Of course J is starting out on easy mode. An interesting, V-shaped maze that could turn out to be useful even in the harder modes! And that gets us to the first pleasure listed above--that of giving respect. DTD certainly encourages this in the use of private scoreboards among friends, especially as they picture the mazes used to achieve the impressively high scores. I love looking over in the library to see E at work on a new style of maze and using ideas I had never thought of! Sharing respect and exchanging ideas and new experiences--what more could we want?

So, did you save a screenshot of your very first maze?? If so email it to dtddtdblog@hotmail.com!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

im not going to claim i have some special power to declare who is amazing and who is not, but i kinda do. so i'm just gonna put it out there: your friend has an innate gift for dtd i RARELY see in individuals. for a first-timer (s)he really grasped the fundamental dynamics of dtd without neglecting the aesthetic values we all cherish. that screenshot is really a landmark of sorts. breathtaking truly.

keep defending-

paul preece

Fashion Is Poison said...

wow that looks so complicated!